Ushijima the Loan Shark (闇金ウシジマくん, Yamikin Ushijima-kun) is a manga written and illustrated by by Shohei Manabe. It won the 56th Shogakukan Manga Award for general manga. It was adapted into a live action television drama series in 2010 and into a live action film in 2012. A second live action film, Ushijima the Loan Shark 2, was released on May 16, 2014.
In recent years, Japan has become the shining light of Asia - with its noteworthy achievements in the fields of Science and Technology, Medicine and the like. But while there are a great number of rich and successful Japanese people, there are even more who are engaged in a furious struggle simply to earn their day-to-day living expenses...all the while battling with dangerous and money-consuming addictions such as gambling and alcoholism.
What will these people do when they require the cash to feed the never-ending desires that are part and parcel of being human? How miserable and dangerous might their lives become if they fall into the fearful traps that are set by black market money-lenders with the sole purpose of ensnaring such weak-willed individuals?
- ↑ Template:Citation/make link (in Japanese). Shogakukan. http://comics.shogakukan.co.jp/mangasho/. Retrieved 2011-09-09.
- ↑ Template:Citation/make link. Anime News Network. 2011-01-21. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-01-21/56th-shogakukan-manga-award-winners-announced. Retrieved 2011-09-09.
- ↑ Template:Citation/make link. Anime News Network. 2010-08-09. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-08-09/ushijima-the-loan-shark-manga-gets-live-action-show. Retrieved 2011-09-09.
- ↑ Template:Citation/make link. Anime News Network. 2011-08-03. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-08-03/ushijima-the-loan-shark-manga-gets-live-action-film. Retrieved 2011-09-09.
- ↑ Kevin Ma (May 13, 2014). Template:Citation/make link. Template:Citation/make link. http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/frozen-tops-japan-bo-for-tenth-weekend. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- ↑ Template:Citation/make link (in Japanese). Template:Citation/make link. Stingray. http://www.allcinema.net/prog/show_c.php?num_c=347766. Retrieved May 15, 2014.